Dec 1, 2010

Being vegan

Why do I eat vegetarian?

Because I cannot even imagine the vagaries of a slaughter. Non-vegetarianism makes you the reason for a murder. Don't the desperate cries of the unfortunate animal tender your heart? It has to wait for its death - most probably watch its friends and relatives murdered openly before its own eyes. It is not just blood, but motion which makes life so real in animals. Shells and clams feel the same pain as goats and chicken.

Scientifically, plants have life as well. Life is after all just a series of chemical reactions. But do all living beings  have feelings?  Movement seems to make a point - but not always: Mimosa pudica moves - so do Sunflowers. I would say a fear of death does make a valid point about rights for animals. The crave to live - the fight for survival is seen most openly in animals. Well, plants do need an honorable mention - they too fight for water, nutrients, and sunlight - and devoid of them, die. After all you have to jump, shout and say that you don't want to die. Remember, germs (some of whom are taxonomically Animalia) are exceptions - firstly, they don't shout and then we need to kill them to remain alive ourselves - I am not eating them after all.

Eggs don't shout, but are after all living cells - each a possibility of a new animal life. So what if  seeds in fruits are eggs  for plants -  fruits do not have the stench of eggs!

It is strange that my set of teeth has four canines. Evolution too is oblivious of animal rights. Wait, canines come good in eating sugarcane!

Lets make this rule: living beings which shout have rights. Correction, life which moves feels pain. More correctly, life which fear death are to be shunned. Well not all of them. And some others outside this. To  refine the rule still further - I will hand pick living beings which will be on my palate, and I don't have a damn logical explanation for that. Come on, it is for me to decide what I eat!

I am logically starved. I will logically starve.

No comments: